Guitar Papercraft



(Literally, the patterns cover my bed.)

The last really big papercraft project I took on was for the Himeji Castle. It’s been a while, and I was thinking that I’d like to try making the electric guitar from the Canon printer papercraft site. It’s 18 pages for the pattern, and 14 pages for the instructions. While the instructions are in English, they’re missing what I consider the most important information – the recommendation for paper thickness. I have a Brother printer, and Bic Camera doesn’t carry paper specifically from the Brother. Instead, I used Kokuyo paper. All they had was photo glossy and matte, when what I needed was plain card stock. I settled on matte, 0.22mm for the thickness, which I thought might still be on the flimsy side. Turns out that 0.22mm is actually too thick, and I would have been better off with 0.12mm, or there abouts. The other colors printed out fine, but black flaked off of one sheet, and ran like paint on another sheet. It tended to fleck off a lot when I cut along the lines with a cutter knife, making for a mess on the table. I also used a clear envelop glue that gave me problems by turning the paper pluppy if I used too much. Some of the problems almost seemed insurmountable, and I came close to giving up and scrapping everything several times. It’s taken close to 40 hours to get this far, and I still have a few pieces of the guitar to finish, plus the stand. I have some contract work that suddenly cropped up with a short deadline, so I need to do that now. I’ll get back to the guitar when I get the chance.


(The internal skeleton.)


(The main faceplate with components.)


(The faceplate, assembled.)


(The top half of the guitar body, plus the faceplate.)


(The same parts from the back.)


(The front half of the guitar body, with the faceplate and whammy bar mounted.)


(The front half of the body from the back, with the skeleton in place.)


(The neck and headstock components, partially assembled.)


(Same parts, from the back.)


(Finished neck, with body.)


(Same parts from the back. Notice the body has the back sheet in place.)


(With the neck attached to the body.)

Left to document – Adding the string anchor block next to the whammy bar, the tensioning pins, and the tuning pegs, plus the stand. Total length – about 22″.

Advertisements
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: